A few tips and tricks to help you reduce some of the effects of arthritis.
There are many different types of arthritis and some are not well understood, even so you can improve your outcome
- Regular Chiropractic care to ensure optimal spinal and joint range of movement and flexibility
- Protect joints from injuries and overuse
- Excess bodyweight increases the stress on joints, especially weight-bearing joints such as the knee and hips, so maintain an appropriate weight
- Regularly exercise to maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Hydrate your body. Water makes up 70 percent of the cartilage in joints and plays a major role in the lubrication and shock absorbing properties of healthy joints
- Eat a well-balanced diet. This will help to maintain general good health
- Avoid crash dieting or fasting
- Increase dietary calcium to reduce the risk of osteoporosis in later life
- Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids
- Sport / recreational activities are important for children with arthritis, to develop confidence in their physical abilities
- Encourage them to pick a sport or activity of interest.
- Chiropractors and GPs can provide guidance on maximum joint protection.
- Encourage activities that exercise joints and muscles without putting too much stress on them, like swimming.
Chiropractic care has a large part to play in the overall management in many of the forms of arthritis.
Please call your Chiropractor at Body Focus Chiropractic on (08) 8331 1888 or visit our clinic at 425 Portrush Road in Toorak Gardens for more information.